Sunday, March 27, 2011

Zuned Out

By now, I’m sure most people have noticed that I have an “Apple bias” on my blog. It’s not that I necessarily prefer Apple over any company, I just really enjoy my Apple products. While I was perusing the internet last week, I stumbled upon a  headline that caught my eye: "RIP ZUNE." 


In November 2006, Microsoft released their own mp3 player called the Zune. The Zune was supposed to be the competition for Apple's iPod. However, that's not how it worked out. As Mashable writes, the Zune was neither cheaper, nor better, than Apple's infamous iPod. If it's not cheaper, what's the point in buying one?


According to Best Buy, for $199 you can buy a 32gb Zune mp3 player. Okay, let's check out the iPod. For $274 dollars, you can get an iPod touch, or for $244, a 160gb iPod - THAT's SO MUCH MUSIC AND SPACE. I myself use the 160gb iPod and have never been let down. Now, in some aspects the Zune is a better deal. Compared to an iPod touch, you are saving a decent amount of money and still get a lot of great features. The Zune HD, which is the latest model, has a multi-touch screen and wireless capabilities. At the end of the day, I'd say it all depends on what operating system you prefer and how much music you have. A lot of people I know refuse to go Apple. They are comfortable with their Microsoft products and would prefer not to switch over. I have around 90 gb of music, so a Zune wouldn't cut it. And for the price, I get way more gb/dollar with an Apple iPod.

I think the major "pitfall" for the Zune is its inability to sync up with iTunes and that is can only operate throgh Windows. After reading a number of articles, it appears that you can "unlock" your Zune, but who wants to go through that mess? On the other hand, iTune is readily available for all Windows operating systems. Bonus points for Apple, again.


I've only used a Zune once. All in all, it looks like a pretty decent product. As a Mac-obsessed consumer, I'm actually pretty interested in the Zune after doing the research. However, it looks like my time to acquire a Zune is coming to an end.

Microsoft plans on continuing the Zune software for Windows phones, but the product itself won't be released anymore.

Maybe I missed my chance, or maybe it was a sign that I did the right thing in 2005 and bought an iPod. Either way, my regrets go out to anyone who is mourning the death of the Zune. Perhaps it's time for that iPod. 

1 comment:

  1. I feel as though any competitor of the iPod is going to have immense trouble REALLY getting into the market. I for one view most products comparable to my iPhone with a stigma and I'm not even a big Apple person. Clearly, Microsoft just couldn't hang in there.

    ReplyDelete