Sunday, March 13, 2011

iPad therefore iAm

If you haven't heard about the Apple iPad by now, we shouldn't be friends. This past week, Apple CEO, Steve Jobs, appeared at the keynote event to present the updated iPad. Clad in his usual black shirt and jeans, an ill Jobs proudly took the stage, and presented the iPad 2. This new and improved version of the iPad was built to impress. 






I've never owned an iPad. In fact, when it was first released last year, I spent more time laughing at the name than looking at the product itself. iPad? While it's fitting because it's like a memo pad, the name is just hilarious. Who knew Steve Jobs could be so funny. Anyways, the first iPad was released in April 2010. When it first came out, many people were skeptical of it's use. I remember hearing countless people say, "It's just like a big iPhone," or "Why would I need that thing when I have an actual computer?" Both statements are very valid and I do agree with them. Despite not needing an iPad, I can now appreciate its purpose and importance to many folks.


What makes this iPad different? Let's start physically. The new iPad has a very sleek new body. Apple cut the thickness from 13.3 mm to only 8.8 - that's a 33.3% cut. As you would assume, slimmer body means less weight. The new iPad weighs only 1.3 lbs (compared to 1.5 lbs.) In addition, Apple released both a black and white version of the iPad. I really think this was a great idea because after the failed release of the white iPhone 4's, Apple needed to redeem itself somehow. 




Hardware. Apple's operating systems are amazing. They are easy to navigate and usually run hassle free. Just when you thought it couldn't get any better. Apple released a new dual-core processing chip, the A5, that they would be using in the new iPad. According to Jobs, this allows graphics to be 9 times better, and for the device to run twice as fast. In addition to operating faster, the battery lasts 10 hours. What a huge leap from just a year ago! Apple products always manage to impress me. 


One of my favorite additions to the new iPads is the ability to face-time. The iPad 2 has not one, but TWO cameras. One on the front, and one on the rear of the device. Users can face-time while surfing the web. How revolutionary.




The prices for the new iPads start at $499 and go up from there depending on size. If you don't plan on buying one, I highly recommend going to the store and playing with one. iPad, therefore you should too, iM serious. 

3 comments:

  1. Cool! I too do not own an iPad. I have a MacBook and iTouch, as well as my old blue iPod mini (still works! keeping my fingers crossed, because some of my songs got lost during the transfer to the iTouch), all things I am very happy with. When the iPad first came out I thought ignorant people were just mispronouncing iPod, ha! But once I figured out what they meant, I initially thought if was kind of pointless...just a large iPod touch. I am liking this new design though, so maybe if I get some extra cash I'll invest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been researching this new ipad and it's growing on me, I kinda wish I had one... they seem so cool! For some reason I'm slow to buying apple merchandise, the last product I owned from them was the first mini ipod that didn't hold any pictures.... this could be a good investment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother got one for his birthday; and was very disappointed. He had tons of ebooks that the iPad device did not support.. mainly (PDF) files. I guess it also was the fact a credit card was needed for everything, whereas Blackberry's tablet does not. For my brother he found no enjoyment unless you jailbreak it. I on the other hand think it'd be a fun toy!

    ReplyDelete