Saturday, March 5, 2011

Internet Explorer 6, it's time to go

As an avid Mac user, the words "Internet Explorer" are not really a part of my vocabulary. In some ways, I cringe at the sight and sound of those two words put together. Let me take a stroll down memory lane.


Internet Explorer...reminds me of my Toshiba laptop that crashed three times in one week, or the time my web browser froze during an online quiz. Oh wait, that happened almost every time. Clearly, I am biased, but it appears I am not the only one who has had these types of problems with the 10 year old web browser.




Well, good news for all of us that have been affected by the failings of Internet Explorer: Microsoft has announced the SHUT DOWN of the second most popular web browser in the world (Firefox took first place), Internet Explorer 6.




Now, this is not to be confused with Explorer shutting down completely, but basically Microsoft wants to have users move to a more modern day browser: Internet Explorer 9.


In order to launch this campaign, Microsoft themselves made a website to increase movement towards the newer browser. The title of the page says, “10 years ago a browser was born. …It’s time to say goodbye.” You can check the website out by clicking here. 


In the past, Internet Explorer 6 has received harsh criticism for a number of reasons. One of the main problems with Internet Explorer 6 is it's pitiful security. In fact, the security and privacy problems are so bad that France and Germany warned citizens not to use the "old school" browser. 


In addition, Internet Explorer 6 doesn't have CSS capabilities. Even Facebook doesn't operate correctly on IE 6. (If Facebook doesn't want you using it, clearly it shouldn't be used.) Digg and Youtube also stated that they would be cutting back on support for IE 6. If even Microsoft is telling you to stop using the browser, obviously something isn't right with it. 


Overall, if you're still using Explorer, you might want to consider updating. Not only to enhance your web browsing experience, but for your own security. Currently, users can update to Internet Explorer 9 free of charge (SWEET). Nobody wants to deal with a virus eating their hard drive. My advice: get a Mac (or at least start with Firefox or Chrome). 

2 comments:

  1. I feel like Internet Explorer has a really terrible stigma attached to it and has for awhile. It makes me wonder if even a newer version of it would change that even if it does have better security features.

    But I'm with you, don't worry about viruses, just get a Mac. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I too am an avid Mac user, so I hardly ever use Internet Explorer, but if I happen to be using my mom's laptop ever, I am quickly reminded why I made the switch (in many respects,actually haha). I have noticed that Facebook doesn't work correctly on IE 6...now I know why. I think it is good that Microsoft is upgrading...this is much needed. I use Firefox, though, so I don't have any issues yet. Yay for Macs!

    ReplyDelete