Sunday, February 13, 2011

It’s Almost As Sweet as Candy: Del.icio.us

Delicious. When I first heard that this was the name of a webiste, I was expecting to see cupcakes, candy, and sugar galore. Much to my dismay, it was a social book marking website (not that theres anything wrong with this, but I fancy candy products a little bit more!)

In class we learned about the social booking marking site Del.icio.us. Five years ago, the company was bought out by Yahoo!, and recently, has been scheduled to shut down. Millions of deliciousers, as I like to call them, were upset about the sudden closing of their favorite social book marking website. Before I go on anymore, I think it is important to explain what exactly “social book making” means.

Most of us probably spend a good number of hours perusing the internet and finding funny, random websites that we enjoy. We send these websites to our friends, family, and anyone else that might find them funny. After a while, it is easy to lose track of all these websites and forget about them. For anyone else who spends as much time as me online, have no fear, delicious is here!

Delicious is a social book marking website that allows users to not only save and store websites (like an RSS reader,) but, to socially exchange them with other members of Delicious. What’s the point of this? I found myself wondering the same exact thing at first, but after a brief demonstration, I was hooked.

Any communication major loves finding out about news. Delicious is a great way to witness how fast news can spread over the Internet. 

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I was actually sitting in my other PR class one day, and my professor had her Firefox browser up and her toolbar had a link that said "My Delicious." I had no idea what that meant, but I was like, oh that sounds yummy--probably a cooking website or something. Later, when I found out about social bookmarking it made more sense. I am one of those people that is scared of it closing down though, so I made an account on Diigo instead. It works similarly, and isn't scheduled to shut down (that I know of), which gives me a sense of security. I am definitely hooked on social bookmarking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you. When we learned about Google Reader I was so excited because I realized how helpful it would be with papers and just for gathering and keeping up with information, and sites like Delicious just amplify the good of an RSS feed!

    ReplyDelete